As a professional social media platform, LinkedIn offers a range of tools and features to help users build their personal brand, network with other professionals, and find new job opportunities. However, to make the most of these resources, it’s important to have a clear strategy and set of guidelines for how to use LinkedIn effectively.
One popular approach that has been gaining traction in recent years is the “5-3-2” rule, which offers a simple framework for creating and sharing content on LinkedIn. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what the 5-3-2 rule is, how it works, and how you can apply it to your own LinkedIn strategy.
Table of Contents
What is the 5-3-2 rule?
At its core, the 5-3-2 rule is a content sharing strategy that emphasizes the importance of creating a mix of different types of content on LinkedIn. The rule is simple: for every 10 posts you share on LinkedIn, 5 should be content from other sources, 3 should be content created by you, and 2 should be personal, non-work related posts.
So, for example, if you share 10 posts on LinkedIn in a given week, 5 of those posts should be curated content from other sources (such as industry news, blog posts, or whitepapers), 3 should be original content that you’ve created yourself (such as a blog post, video, or infographic), and 2 should be personal posts that give your audience a glimpse into your life outside of work (such as a photo of your pet, a quote you find inspiring, or a link to a favorite podcast).
Why is the 5-3-2 rule important?
There are several reasons why the 5-3-2 rule can be an effective strategy for building your personal brand and engaging with your LinkedIn audience:
1. It helps you avoid being too self-promotional. One of the biggest mistakes that people make on LinkedIn (and social media in general) is being too focused on promoting themselves and their own products or services. By following the 5-3-2 rule, you ensure that only 30% of your content is self-promotional, while the other 70% is focused on providing value to your audience through curated and personal content.
2. It encourages engagement with your audience. By sharing a mix of different types of content, you give your audience a reason to engage with you beyond just liking or commenting on your promotional posts. Curated content can spark conversations about industry trends and news, while personal posts can help you connect with your audience on a more human level.
3. It establishes you as a thought leader in your industry. By creating and sharing your own content on LinkedIn, you can showcase your expertise and build your reputation as a thought leader in your field. Meanwhile, curated content can help you stay up-to-date on the latest trends and news in your industry, and personal posts can help you build trust and rapport with your audience.
How to apply the 5-3-2 rule to your LinkedIn strategy
Now that you understand what the 5-3-2 rule is and why it’s important, let’s take a look at how you can apply it to your own LinkedIn strategy:
1. Find and curate high-quality content. To start, you’ll need to find content from other sources that is relevant to your industry and your audience. This could include articles, blog posts, infographics, videos, or any other type of content that provides value to your audience. You can use tools like Feedly or Pocket to find and save content that you can share later.
2. Create your own content. In addition to sharing curated content, you should also create your own original content to share on LinkedIn. This could include blog posts, videos, infographics, or any other type of content that showcases your expertise and provides value to your audience. Be sure to use keywords and formatting to make your content stand out and be more engaging.
3. Share personal posts. Finally, be sure to share personal posts that give your audience a glimpse into your life outside of work. This could include photos, quotes, links to your favorite podcasts or books, or anything else that you think your audience might find interesting or inspiring. Just be sure to keep these posts professional and appropriate for a business audience.
By following the 5-3-2 rule, you can create a balanced content strategy that provides value to your audience, establishes your thought leadership, and helps you build trust and rapport with your LinkedIn connections. Just remember to focus on quality over quantity, and always prioritize providing value to your audience over self-promotion.
on Social Media with RiseKarma™